Philadelphia International Airport’s Concession Program Receive National Awards
PHILADELPHIA — March 16, 2011 — MarketPlace Philadelphia Management, manager of the food and retail program throughout Philadelphia International Airport (PHL), was named Best Concessions Management Team by Airport Revenue News (ARN) within the Large Airport category of North America. The honor was announced at the Best Airport & Concessionaire Awards held during ARN’s annual conference in National Harbor, Md.
MarketPlace has been responsible for the development, leasing, management and marketing of the concessions program at PHL since 1995. In partnership with the Division of Aviation, MarketPlace has made dramatic changes at PHL, including the redevelopment of every concession location throughout the airport. MarketPlace led the development of new concession programs in the B/C and D/E Connectors, International Terminal A West, Terminal F and the newly expanded Terminal E. In partnership with the Philadelphia International Airport and US Airways, MarketPlace is currently working on a dramatic expansion of the food and retail program in Terminal F.
MarketPlace has created a world-class concessions program at PHL that has been recognized by numerous industry awards. In 2002, MarketPlace was awarded the highest award in the industry, the Richard A. Griesbach Award of Excellence, by the Airport Council International.
Additionally, five merchants at PHL were recognized in their respective categories by ARN. The ARN Best Airport & Concessionaire Awards are reflective of the excellence that the airport and concessionaire winners bring to the business.
PHL is proud to announce the following winners, which are part of the airport’s Philadelphia Marketplace Food & Shops:
- Upscale wine bar Vino Volo, located in Terminal B and the B/C and D/E Connectors, was named Best Overall Retailer.
- Best Customer Service was awarded to Taxco Sterling. Located in the International Terminal A West, B/C and D/E Connectors, Taxco Sterling specializes in sterling silver and 18kt gold jewelry and accessories.
- The Paradies Shops, which manages Brooks Brothers, PGA Tour Shop, Barb’s Harley Davidson, CBNC News Philadelphia, Philadelphia News, Pennsylvania Market, Brighton Collectibles and Explore Philadelphia at PHL, was named Best Retail Specialty Brand Operator. Paradies Shops also received the award for Best Overall Retailer.
- The Hudson Group, which manages Hudson News, Hudson News Aero Mart and Hudson News Euro Café at PHL, was named Best Newsstand Operator.
- Midfield Concessions was named Best DBE (Disadvantaged Business Enterprise) Operator amongst large retailers. Midfield Concessions manages Wendy’s (B/C Connector), Cantina Laredo (Terminal E), Villa Pizza (Terminals AE and B), and Earl of Sandwich (Top of Terminal D) at PHL.
- Cantina Laredo, located in PHL’s Terminal E, was named Best New Food Concept. Cantina Laredo is part of the Midfield Concessions family, offering passengers authentic Mexican cuisine.
“Being recognized by our peers in the industry for our concessions management and tenants is truly an honor,” said Clarence LeJeune, President of Marketplace Philadelphia Management LLC. “Our goal is to bring the best mix of food and retail merchants to passengers at PHL.”
“The Airport is proud of its longstanding partnership with Marketplace Philadelphia Management and success in providing customers with a concessions program that has been consistently recognized as being among the finest in the industry,” said Airport CEO Mark Gale. “A quality concessions program is an important factor in the customer airport experience, and Marketplace has worked together with the Airport in ensuring that experience is a positive one.”
ABOUT MARKETPLACE PHILADELPHIA MANAGEMENT LLC.
MarketPlace Philadelphia Management is the manager of the food and retail program throughout Philadelphia International Airport. The award-winning food and retail program consists of stores and eateries throughout all seven terminals at Philadelphia International Airport. The airport features more than 160 in-line stores, restaurants and services, plus more than 30 specialty retail units. MarketPlace Philadelphia Management is the local management company for MarketPlace Development, a Boston-based retail development firm that partners with airports and airlines to develop, lease, and manage airport retail programs. MarketPlace is an affiliate of New England Development, a full-service development company based in Newton, Massachusetts. For more information, visit www.philamarketplace.com Follow us on Twitter @phlfoodandshops and become a fan on Facebook.
ABOUT AIRPORT REVENUE NEWS
Airport Revenue News (ARN) is a monthly trade magazine devoted to coverage of all revenue-generating issues affecting the airport industry. The publication is the foremost news and information resource for airport executives, concessionaires, consultants and others involved in the business of airports. Nominating and judging for the 2011 awards was conducted entirely online and again resulted in unprecedented industry participation, with over 1,400 votes cast in five airport categories and 15 specialty retail, news and gifts and food and beverage categories . As in previous years, airport executives voted for concession companies and concessionaires voted for airport programs. The Large Airport category is defined by 10 million or more enplaning passengers. For more information about this competition, visit www.airportrevenuenews.com
For MarketPlace Philadelphia Management
MarketPlace Philadelphia Management